Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Gray of My Own

I've only just learned that I may soon have a Gray of my own or, more accurately, a Gray will soon own me. *crosses fingers, toes, eyes* All I know about this African Gray parrot is that he is a Congo (type of subspecies) and an "extremely smart healthy male who's family is allergic" to him. I feel really sorry for that family, because no matter what the reason it's got to be painful to give up one's feathered friend (or, as some people (not me) might say, one's "pet bird"), but I'm very pleased for me, because I had an African Gray once before and am so excited to maybe be getting another one.

Roddy, a Timnah (which is a bit smaller than a Congo), was given to me by the son of a woman who had passed away. Though I had Roddy only a short 5 years, we bonded like I've bonded with no pet I'd ever had before or since, and I loved her so much! In fact, I believe she saved my life (or at least my sanity) when my daughter was going through the worst of her teen years. For that two or three year period of time, it seemed to me sometimes that Roddy was the only living creature who was truly happy to see me.

Anyway, I lost her much too soon to cancer of the wing, which was misdiagnosed by the vet I initially took her to see. To make a long, painful story short, even though her wing was eventually amputated by the second vet, the cancer spread and she died soon after. I still miss her.

Now, five years later, I'm again ready to be the friend and caregiver of another African Gray, to experience the laughter, joy, and caregiving that comes with living with an intelligent, mischievous, loving Gray.

1 comment:

  1. 'Castle' is a murder-mystery show. I forget which channel because I am sleepy. It's nothing like 'Firefly' (but then what could be?) but the first episode was fairly entertaining, and Nathon Fillion was very funny, and I think it has some serious potential. Recommended!

    ReplyDelete